Saturday, June 2, 2012

Surprising answer to parents question about films longevity

There is so much to write about this week that I'm not sure where to begin. Presently I am in New York for the National Scholastic Art & Writing events. Over dinner last night with some of the students from my own classroom I was asked by a parent whether I believed the art of black and white film was dying. Before I could answer, one of my students who graduated this year said, "I'm so upset, my school (that she will be attending for college) doesn't have a darkroom. I'm going to miss it so much! I wish there was something I could do." I told them all about another student graduating this year who will be attending med school and who had the same desire. When she expressed it to the college where she will be attending, they told her that there was an old space (now closed) on campus that once was a darkroom and if she wanted to clean it up and get it going it was hers! She is so excited. She asked if she could start a photography club so that others interested in photography could also have access. The university said "Yes"! and on top of it, they said they will fund it! This inspired my student at dinner and she immediately began asking how she can start a club, who should she talk to etc. at her college next year. We all listened to her brainstorm ideas of what she could do. Yes, my heart was singing and I didn't have to answer the initial question by the parent, it just was!

No comments:

Post a Comment